Sunday, November 14, 2004

Some thoughts about 11/3

Which was, despite being my birthday, a relatively sad day as GWB was elected for a second term. Given all the hand-wringing following the US presidential elections, a number of people were quick to jump on to the 'trust the American people to be dumb enough to vote for Bush' bandwagon. I will admit that I was disappointed by the election results, and appalled by the intolerance towards gay marriage. But I don't think it's good politics (no matter where u stand on the political spectrum) to denounce your opposition as 'stupid' simply because they surprised you. Dilip D'Souza, whose book The Narmada Dammed is a fantastic summary of the issues involved, and a book I used for my Oxford thesis, has this to say about the results of the elections. I couldn't agree more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home