Monday, May 17, 2004

The Politics of Arundhati Roy

There is a less than balanced article by Arundhati Roy on the Indian elections Written in that hyperbolic style of her, that I now find grating, she is right in pointing out that we should be glad at the BJP's demise. But then she takes off on an entirely different tangent. Exploring similar territory as her last article, How Deep Shall We Dig, she argues that tens of thousands of people have disappeared under BJP rule. And then cites Kashmir as the classic example. This is a bit odd, considering that the worst army excesses in Kashmir and rigging of elections took place under Congress rule. Although she does admit early on, that the policies of the BJP and the Congress may not be all that different. I am not sure about her rantings against the failings of the Indian state- as I see it, there is much that we have done right, and much that we have done wrong. And there is hardly ever any attempt on her part to focus on the former. Since I did my thesis on the Narmada issue, I had an opportunity to read Roy on Narmada quite closely. She begins quite well, and is factually correct, and for the most part I agree with her. But then she tends to leave out facts, e.g. not focussing on the reform packages of the Gujarat government that are best ever in India, at least in theory, (this despite the fact that they simply have no land to accommodate everyone from MP and Maharashtra). In fact, as ARCH-Vahini points out, the NBA has often refused surveys in those areas where it has a stronghold, nor has it always told villagers the entire truth about the reform packages, afraid that they will accept it.

She refers to the Narmada Dam as a 'State Secret' saying it's time to reveal some of these. But the unfortunate truth is that these have never been state secrets, and as the length of the bibliography to my thesis will testify, there has been plenty of work done on this. If middle class people like her, were unaware of the problem, don't blame the entire nation! For both the thirsting millions in Kutch and Saurashtra and for the displaced in MP and Maharashtra- whether adivasi or the rich farmers of Nimad, this has been a live burning issue. Also she begins her second article on the Maheshwar Dam, The Reincarnation of Rumpelstiltskin, referring to Cochacomba in Boliva...it's Cochabamba!!

As I argue in my thesis, and I think this is indeed a valid argument, the debate about the Narmada has been misled by the NBA to focus entirely on Big Dams. After all, like it or not, they are here to stay, and in post independence India, they have done some good. (look at Punjab after all). So what does that leave us with? It leaves us with the task of satisfying the people of Kutch and Saurashtra and ensuring that the oustees get a fair deal. For that I think the Joy-Paranjype proposals are excellent. The problem is that the NBA will consider no option where the dam is built. It's no dam or nothing, quite a risky strategy, even from a political perspective. While I think the Supreme Court judgement of 2000 is ludicrous, I can see why the NBA has lost support over the years. A blanket anti-development agenda, as some in the NBA have come to symbolize will do no one any good. In order to educate the public, and to revive support for the Narmada, I think it's time to point out how the project has been bureaucratically messed up for years- figures have been obfuscated, people have been lied to. If there's a real reason to take a second look at the project, that's where it lies. Also, you could take a look at the Verghese's response to Roy and then her counter response.

I will also admit that a lot of the vitriol against her has been personal and if you read the following articles, you'll see what I mean. Not many have a critique of the content of her work, but are more critical of the 'Booker prize winning author' taking up social causes and suggesting that she hijacks them for herself. I am not sure that's true. I don't think, unlike Ramchandra Guha, that she did the Narmada cause a disservice by writing about it. And I don't see why her getting a Booker should disqualify her from writing about political issues?

As a last word, Dilip D'Souza has an excellent book called The Narmada Dammed, which far more eloquently argues what I've said in this post. It's a great book, and I would urge you to read it. And here's an interesting review of the book.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Antara, for your note about my book. I appreciate it. How did you come across it? It's always gratifying to find people who have read it, because I truly want it and the issues debated more than they have been. In fact it's been sort of discouraging, the way the book has vanished.

I do have some thoughts on your criticism of Ms Roy, but that, another time.

Do keep in touch from time to time.

cheers,
dilip d'souza.
dilipd@rediff.co.in.

(I couldn't find any way to do this without being anonymous!)

5:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home